On 05.03.23 18:42, Richard L. Hamilton wrote:

On Mar 5, 2023, at 12:12, Peter Tribble <peter.trib...@gmail.com> wrote:

On Sun, Mar 5, 2023 at 4:19 PM Till Wegmüller <toaster...@gmail.com> wrote:

Hi

IPS works on images of the OS. And it does so in an Atomic way. Speed is
not the main goal. Stability is.

As a historical interlude, speed was very much a key focus of creating IPS
to replace
SVR4 packaging. One of the key criticisms of the old packaging system was
that it
was considered inordinately slow (one manifestation of this was that the
development
workflow for Solaris involved installing updated bits, SVR4 was too slow
for impatient
engineers, hence bfu as a hack, but that rendered the system unsupportable,
but is
what led to onu).

The emphasis on performance can be seen in several areas of the design -
downloading
and updating just the files you need rather than whole packages;
eliminating the overhead
of maintaining the shared contents file.

It's unfortunate that the original aim of improving performance got lost
along the way.

--
-Peter Tribble

Yes...I wasn't badmouthing IPS, just noting that compared to e.g.
well-supported and maintained Linux distros (Kali Linux has impressed me
recently), it's slow.

But it is a HUGE improvement on SVR4 packages (and patches!), which were not
only extremely slow, but one had to do some degree of sorting out manually,
although I recall that someone (Casper?) had created a set of tools for
deploying patches on a large scale; I recall using that to make Y2K updates
doable at scale (back in the day of lots of Sun workstations; although servers
tended to be done by hand when downtime was permissible).

The biggest improvement is that in a sense, speed doesn't matter if a new boot
environment is being created, provided the system isn't hurting for
performance. One can run the pkg update at a convenient hour, and do the reboot
when it can be scheduled to be non-disruptive, with the assurance of a trivial
and quick recovery plan if there's a problem (boot again to the previous BE).
That satisfies everyone while minimizing lost sleep and/or overtime. :-)

My problem with all the new-fangled stuff is simply that I go back to
mainframes and punched cards and Unix v7 on a PDP-11...and still have emulators
for those and others (like Apollo workstations, or Multics, or even CP/M), in
case I get nostalgic. With all that very slowly fading out of my head, getting
something new in can be an uphill battle, esp. retired when I usually just do
it if it's fun. :-)

For instance, although I never used them, I wish there was something in C or
C++ like PL/I area variables, where one could create a multi-megabyte or
nowadays multi-gigabyte variable WITHIN which other variables could be
allocated and referenced via offsets rather than pointers, such that the entire
area and its contents and internal allocation information and dynamic data
structures could be written out to disk, and later read back in again (although
the program reading it would of course have to have all the appropriate
declarations). Think of that if one wanted to make predigesting a complex
human-readable file into cacheable internal form relatively easy...or these
days, saving state in something, perhaps a game or long-running modeling
program, I suppose. And mainframes had checkpoint/restart support, which mostly
one has to roll one's own in a limited (user space) way on Unix/Linux systems.

The File format thing sounds something like FlexBuffers https://github.com/google/flatbuffers/tree/master/rust/flexbuffers But there are probably more formats supported by serde that fit the bill https://serde.rs/

Keywords in todays Jargon are Serialization and Zerocopy.

-Till