I answered this on the HPI mailing list, but FYI, here's the answer...

An ATCA board is supposed to implement a graceful shutdown operation
with the payload when it goes to M6 state.  How this is implemented is
not defined, and if the OS in question does not properly handle things,
there can be long delays while the IPMC waits for the payload to
gracefully shut down.  I imagine that yours gives up after 30 seconds.

And since the "how" is not defined in ATCA, that can cause problems
implementing because the custom interface to do it is generally not
documented.  Most x86-class systems use ACPI to do it.  So it depends on
the hardware in question.

-Corey