Matt Domsch wrote:
> On Thu, Sep 28, 2006 at 09:24:42AM -0700, Bela Lubkin wrote:
>
>> Corey Minyard wrote:
>>

>>>     * The user sends a cold reset to the BMC.  The BMC will be resetting
>>>       and thus will not be able to respond for some period of time.  The
>>>       driver, when it sees the cold reset command, will automatically
>>>       not autonomously message the BMC for 30 seconds.  Note it is still
>>>       the responsibility of the user to not send any commands in the
>>>       period the BMC is resetting.
>>>
>> Would it be too heavy handed to actually _fail_ user-initiated commands
>> during this refractory period?

Probably not.  The driver can't know what commands are and are not valid
at that point.  If you are upgrading firmware, you better darn well know
what you are doing and properly handle the other things that might be
accessing the BMC.
>> Implementation would probably be messy -- but requiring the user to pay
>> attention often leads to grief...
>>

> I can just see all the automated tools that poll for sensor status
> every so often react very poorly to all their commands failing (as
> opposed to timing out).  "Hey, why did my power supplies, fans, and
> everything else suddenly fail? - oh, false failure, recall the dispatches..."

This is a tricky operation, but I know many vendors that do this in the
field with live systems.  Those telecom guys want to do everything live :).

-Corey