See the function read_sensor_states() in cmdlang/cmd_sensor.c.  It gets
a reading and iterates through it.  You really shouldn't be directly
using ipmi_get_reading_name(), you should use
ipmi_sensor_reading_name_string().  If there are OEM plugins that modify
these values, they may not exactly match up with
ipmi_get_reading_name(), or may have values that are OEM-specific.

You need to use ipmi_sensor_get_states() to get the current state
values.  ipmi_sensor_get_event_enables() tells you if a specific sensor
is enabled to send an event when the specific offset changes.  And being
both set, you will get an event if either bit changes :-).

-corey