Deepak Gaur wrote:
> Hi all,
>
> I have following hardware configuration based on Pigeon Point BMC
>
> PowerPC MPC8560 SCC ------UART----IPMI Serial Interface(Terminal
> Mode)---->BMR-AVR BMC
>
> As I am not much aware about IPMI I shall be grateful if anyone can clear my
> doubts
>
> Software Available
>
> OS : linux kernel  2.6.21 on Host processor Driver : SCC (CPM2 UART) driver
> (Serial
> Driver) available with Linux Kernel, OpenIPMI Linux Driver patches
>
> Host processor : MPC8560 (ppc)
>
> The host processor is MPC8560 (Motorola ppc) and its Serial Communication
> controller is connected to BMC(BMR-AVR) over Serial Interface. The mode
> required is
> Terminal  Mode as defined in IPMI Specs 1.5. The protocol run on this
> interface is
> pigeon Point SIPL (Serial protocol interface lite)
>
> My task is to write a user mode application in linux which issues commands
> over
> this serial interface to BMC and get the responses.
>
> I have two doubts
>
> (1) My doubt is regarding software stacking of the various drives and my
> applicatiom .
>
> Layer 1 -> My Application
> Layer 2 -> openipmilib
> Layer 3 -> ipmi_devintf
> Layer 4 -> ipmi_msghandler
> Layer 5 -> ipmi_serial
> Layer 6 -> ipmi_serial_terminal_mode
> Layer 7 -> Serial Driver (MPC8560 SCC)

Have you done the modificiations for the CPM2 driver?  If so, they are
not in the sources.  I would like the patches, please.

Also, the interface between the IPMI serial driver and the serial
interface has changed a lot between the 2.6.21 and 2.6.22 versions.
> Do ipmi_msghandler use DDI exported by ipmi_serial ? Extactly how a msg sent
> from
> userspace travel down to Serial Driver.
>
> (2) Pigeon point BMR supports two types of commands
> Type 1 : Raw IPMI messages of form [Netfn,Seq,cmd,data] and
> Type 2 : PPS Extension commands of form [NetFn,Seq,cmd,PPS IANA, data]
>
> where is PPS IANA is to be introduced in command. In userspace application
> while
> preparing a command or it is introduced by ipmi_serial_terminal_mode codec
> before
> sending it on serial interface??

The types of messages don't really matter.  In the interface from
userland to the driver, you supply the NetFN and the cmd.  The IANA is
part of the data for OEM messages.  The driver takes care of the
sequence numbers.

You are going to have to read Documentation/IPMI.txt and some IPMI stuff
to learn how these things work.

-corey