[EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Hello,
>
> I am developing a firmware upgrade utility and am having trouble
> accessing my ARTM through the system interface via the openIPMI driver
> interface.  The ARTM has a site ID of 0x0f (IPMB address 0x8e) and sits
> on IPMB-L.  When specifying channel 7 for the slave address the IOCTL
> always returns invalid operand.  The following is a code sample of what
> fails:
>
>     ipmb.addr_type = IPMI_IPMB_ADDR_TYPE;
>     ipmb.channel   = 7;
>     ipmb.lun       = 0x00;
>     ipmb.slave_addr = 0x8e;
>
>     req.addr = (void *) &ipmb;
>     req.addr_len = sizeof(ipmb);
>     req.msgid = 0x1234;
>     req.msg.netfn = 0x06;
>     req.msg.cmd = 0x01;
>     req.msg.data = NULL;
>     req.msg.data_len = 0;
>
>     rv = ioctl(dev, IPMICTL_SEND_COMMAND, &req);
>
> I have also tried formatting a send message command using the system
> interface address type but found an email archive that stated the driver
> would not allow you to format your own send message command so I suspect
> the above is the correct approach but not quite accurate?

It looks correct to me.  Is the exact error EINVAL?

> I have to date been testing on Wind River PNE1.4 with an older version
> of the open IPMI driver:
>
> [EMAIL PROTECTED]:/root> rpm -q -a | grep -i ipmi
> ipmitool-1.8.2-1
> openipmi-1.4.26-1
> ipmiutil-1.8.1-1_WR
>
> Is this version too old for what I am trying to do or am I just missing
> something?

That doesn't tell the kernel version, which is what I would really
need.  This error doesn't point to a kernel version being too old (that
would be a timeout) unless it is really old.  It may be that the driver
is unable to find the channel due to it not being reported properly when
getting the channel info.

Also, IIRC, the WRS kernel has some type of virtual IPMI driver, are you
sure you are getting the right device?

-corey