You are correct about the ‘*/FRU fields did not occur in the correct
order/*’ error, that's the source of the problem.

Section 17 of the IPMI Platform Management FRU Information Storage
Definition document states: "FRU Information areas always appear in this
order" and then states the order. The machine appears to not be using
this order.

I'm not exactly sure how to work around this. It's not as easy as you
might imagine. Fixing reading is relatively easy. But OpenIPMI has a
bunch of code for writing and manipulating FRU Data areas; that code
would be completely broken by allowing another order.

Perhaps you can look on Dell's web site; it's quite likely they have
already fixed the problem with a firmware update. That's probably the
best first course of action.

-corey