On Fri, Feb 9, 2018 at 9:34 PM, Corey Minyard <miny...@acm.org> wrote:
> On 02/08/2018 09:09 PM, Chris Chiu wrote:

>>> This is a little strange, nobody had reported this before.  Can you
>>> reproduce this
>>> at will, or was it a one-time thing?
>>
>> It can be reproduced on each reboot.
>>>
>>> Does the IPMI driver always take this long to issue that error, even if
>>> you
>>> are not
>>> entering sleep state?
>>>
>> Yep, it will always print "ipmi_si 0000:02:00.3: There appears to be
>> no BMC at this
>> location" few minutes after boot.
>>
>>> And it started with 4.14, and didn't occur before then, right?
>>>
>> I haven't try pre-4.14 kernel. Will do that and update here.
>

> Ah.  It's probably still worth trying, but I doubt it will make any
> difference.
>
> Are you sure there is actually an IPMI BMC installed in this system?  It
> might
> be a plug-in card that is not installed, but the interface still appears on
> the
> PCI bus.  So there is enough hardware to go part-way through the motions
> of being an IPMI interface, but not enough to actually work.
>
> If there is a BMC there, do you know the register layout?  The IPMI spec has
> an algorithm to go through to discover some of the parameters, and the
> driver follows it, but IMHO it's not really very good.  I'll need to know
> the
> size of the registers, and the spacing between the registers.
>
> -corey

Sorry for late response because it's close to Chinese New Year.
I can get the IPMI working with the driver here on Windows.
https://www.drivermax.com/Realtek-Virtual-IPMI-Realtek-PCI-VEN-10EC-DEV-816C-1_0_0718_2013-2013-07-18-509795-driver.htm
Then you will see the device (hightlighted) on the control panel as follows
https://pasteboard.co/H7xm3fJ.png

I don't know how to get the register layout you need. I can only take a
picture of the content of the PCI resources.
https://pasteboard.co/H7xnhz0.png

The contents of BAR1, BAR3, BAR5 are all 0xff. Can you point me out
where the useful information might be and I can try to dump FYI.

Chris