Ok - this means that in Cell.updateItem I would have to add a (weak?) listener to the item's state property. If the cell is reused for another item I would have to remove the old listener first. My only concern is that this will be done a lot when scrolling through the list. Thanks...

If the data item isn't observable, then you need a way to manually poke it.

Basically I can only talk from the Cell to the item, not vice versa. Unless I would store the cell reference in the item, not a good idea. So if item state changes, it must be observable from the cell, in some way.

Werner