On 07/24/13 12:29, Fabrizio Giudici wrote:
On Wed, 24 Jul 2013 09:59:07 +0200, Artem Ananiev
<artem.anan...@oracle.com> wrote:
On 7/24/2013 12:45 AM, Fabrizio Giudici wrote:
On Tue, 23 Jul 2013 22:34:48 +0200, Anthony Petrov
<anthony.pet...@oracle.com> wrote:

I don't agree. IMO, it's annoying when I'm able to resize a window
freely but unable to maximize it. This just doesn't look logical or
convenient.

I'm with Werner here. Maximixing a dialog is usually ugly from the
aesthetic point of view, but sometimes I'm annoyed by dialogs that are
just a bit too narrow for entering a text, or something else
(incidentally, e.g. the Java control panel seems to be filled with
non-resizable windows designed just to annoy people :-). I'd just like
to stretch them a bit.

Could you identify the boundary between just making a window larger
and maximizing it? I can't. What about Windows 7 "snap" feature, is it
resizing or maximizing? In other words, my understanding is that if a
window is resizable, it should be maximizable as well. However, as I
wrote in my previous emails, sometimes it's out of Java control: we
can say if a window should be resizable or not, and the platform
decides if it is minimizable/maximizable or not.

Thanks,

The boundary is when you feel the look is ugly, thus it's related to the
% of size increase. That's why "snap" is not a problem. Of course I
can't tell you a precise threshold, it depends. But it's ok when I just
enlarge a window because it lacks the room for say 5-10 characters of
input, while I don't like to see a maximized window where there's just a
small content and large amounts of empty space.

Then just don't push the Maximize button! :) I mean, you can easily achieve the state of ugliness by resizing the window as well, but you still want it to be resizable. So what's the big deal with the Maximize button then? Let it be there for people who want/need it.

Also: sometimes you want a modal, that is the main window is blocked,
but perhaps you need to read something in the main window, that would
help to answer to the question of the modal. If the modal is just
resizable (and draggable) there's no problem. If the modal has been
maximized, you can't. Of course, it's up to the user to avoid maximizing
it if it's a problem - there are no showstoppers here. But UI design is
all about driving the user in the right direction and minimizing the
number of interaction items needed to accomplish a task.

I doubt an app would maximize a dialog initially (and if it does, it's a problem in the app itself). Otherwise, it's up to the user to maximize/unmaximize the dialog, or only resize it whenever and however it is needed/convenient at the moment.

--
best regards,
Anthony