That's okay for a quick hack.  In the case of a video preview surface, I
will be explicitly setting the value for every pixel from a ByteBuffer.
 You could save the extra step of doing a rectFill or clearRect if you knew
that every pixel was about to be overwritten.  It's a reasonable
optimization.. but as a fix for this issue it's still only a half-fix hack.

"If pulses are not happening, we still need to remember these scribbles so
we can draw the right result."

No.  If pulses are not happening you need to block or force a pulse
somehow. Otherwise I don't see how having the unbounded queue is ever going
to be 100% reliable.

Since we are talking about painting to the Canvas surface as opposed to
directly modifying the scene graph, why does the painting have to happen
"later" when a pulse occurs?  It's not like you have any other thread
writing to the Canvas.  Why can't the Platform thread actually *do* the
scribbles,and the pulse just refreshes the portion of the Canvas that is
visible on the screen?  Is it some D3D/OpenGL multi-threading complication?

Regards,

Scott