The existing behavior does sound consistent at least. When a drag starts, the
node "captures" the mouse and doesn't let go until the event concludes. This is
the same as if the node had remained in the scene graph. Since the node is no
longer in the scene graph, there is no hierarchy to bubble / filter / capture
events in.

What other options are there which would also work? We could send a mouse drag
ended, mouse release, etc to the node which has been removed from the scene
graph and then start a new drag event at the current location. I'm guessing
this is the behavior you were looking for?

Richard