On Tue, 03 Sep 2013 07:16:06 +0200, Tom Eugelink <t...@tbee.org> wrote:

AFAIK there was never a framework that used final a lot, so time will tell if the choice was right. Swing and the JDK made it this far. But

The NetBeans Platform API does use final a lot for the same rationale we're discussing now.

I'm suspecting the choice may have been made motivated more from the perspective of the developers of the framework (a few people) and not as much from the users (many people).

That's true, but you're misusing the perspective. Many users would only see some minor impact of extending a class, while the few developers would see the accumulation of a huge number of problems because those minor things are multiplied by the large number of users. It's precisely by putting oneself in the perspective of the developers that 'final' makes sense.

--
Fabrizio Giudici - Java Architect @ Tidalwave s.a.s.
"We make Java work. Everywhere."