It wasn't clear from your original message that the stroke bounds were much
more expensive. Given that additional info I don't think my idea is practical.
That makes it harder to decide. I like your choice of fill bounds to ease the
ability to align the gradients, but I don't like the idea of not being able to
use a gradient that goes to the edge of the stroke.  Depending on the stroke
width that could be a significant and very visible limitation.

I wonder how frequently aligning the gradient in the stroke and the fill comes
up?  It seems using the stroke bounds for the stroke and the fill bounds for
the fill is more correct, even if it makes aligning the gradients more
difficult.  That alignment is nice, but having the gradient work consistently
in terms of what 0% and 100% mean is probably important.

Scott