Hi Daniel,

about caching, I placed it in the list, because there is no spec telling about it, and anyone can add/remove it, that why it is an object of concern. It will be great to hear from Controls team, cause from my point of view, dynamical change of controls behavior will improve usability. Talking about ObservableBooleanValue, nice idea, I think it will be really better, than having boolean return value. Are you going to implement it?

19.11.2013 13:32, Daniel Blaukopf ?????:
Hi Stas,

Yes, you have a good point here. The behavior you are seeing is what I would expect, but I agree we could do better in how we specify this. Currently,

  * States reported by Platform.isSupported are updated when input
    devices are added and removed
  * Controls check the connected input devices at startup time. They
    do not change their behavior on the fly as input devices are added
    and removed.

Enabling listening to state changes certainly makes sense - probably by defining state in ObservableProperties. I’m not sure we actually want controls to reconfigure themselves dynamically and automatically though. Maybe someone working on controls can comment on this, but it seems like it would be a complex transition with many edge cases to deal with.

Why change caching of input device state in Lens and Quantum though? Lens needs to cache the state of input devices in order to be able to report on what input features are available. I’m not sure Quantum is doing any caching of this state at all - as far as I know it is going directly to Glass to query input device features. Controls do of course cache input device state.

A thought about API for listening to state changes. What if we added an API to Platform like Platform.isSupported that instead of returning a boolean returned an ObservableBooleanValue? This listener would never be notified on conditional features like EFFECT or SCENE3D but would be notified on those conditional features that reflect input device state.

Thanks,
Daniel