In the past (JavaFX 2.2-), I've recommended very strongly against constructing
custom controls because:

   a. For many applications it's more complicated than needed (e.g. custom
controls are usually best for reusable libraries but not application code).
   b. The public API and documentation to define custom controls wasn't really
there.

For (b),
   On the documentation side, there is now stuff available at
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Controls.
   On the public API side there is now a more complete public API to support
custom controls in Java 8.
   There are lots of great open source demos of how to create controls in the
openjfx source base itself.

Many times in application code, simple composition of existing controls via
layout managers will continue to be the most appropriate way to build an
application.  But there are times when defining a custom control makes more
sense (e.g. to take advantage of the design patterns and functionality offered
by the control API or to neatly define a reusable component).

I know the Behaviour API stuff is currently still private API, but if the
Behaviour API is avoided, would you now advise writing custom controls in
JavaFX 8?
If so, would it only be when you are contributing controls to a reusable
library like jfxtras or controlsfx, or would you also recommend creating custom
controls for use in general application code?

Thanks,
John