Got it. The key was to move the stylesheets from the root node to the scene before reloading them:

scene.styleSheets.clear
scene.styleSheets.addAll(root.styleSheets)
root.styleSheets.clear
styleManager.reload(scene)

The hotkey also works now: shift+ctrl+7 reloads CSS while the scene is visible. This works by using a custom scene, overriding impl_processKeyEvent. Even better would be automatic change-detection (in debug mode only) but I don't have time to do this now. Previously you said that reloading is not needed on FX8... does this work out of the box then?

Werner