I think there are two usages of builders:
- construct compontents / controls programatically (ending in the build() call).
- mapping of FXML attributes to node properties, because in FXML everything
must be a string.

For example, CalendarTextField has no builder class in the first sense (I used
withers for that), but does have a class that converts the dateFormats (list of
SimpleDateFormat strings) in an fxml file to an actual list of DateFormats
instances.

https://github.com/JFXtras/jfxtras-labs/blob/8.0/src/main/java/jfxtras/labs/fxml/CalendarTextFieldBuilder.java

If you can explain to me how to do this without a builder, but also without
polluting CalendarTextField with FXML aspects, then I'll change the code.

Tom