Thanks Tom! I assume the thread was this one:

        Font.font() says it is point size but it looks like it are pixels

http://mail.openjdk.java.net/pipermail/openjfx-dev/2014-January/012398.html

I guess the final word is that CSS assumes 1pt==1/92in, and Nodes convert that
to the real world on render?

And that this is basically a bug, but it can't be fixed due to legacy
considerations?

jeff