I see .. so AVFoundation was already there since 10.7, its AVKit that's new in 10.9
but AV Foundation is what FX would use.
It looks like Apple starting encouraging migration to AV Foundation about 18 months ago
based on the date of this document :-
https://developer.apple.com/library/mac/technotes/tn2300/_index.html
I suppose we need to learn read the apple seeds and interpret that as a big, urgent, hint.

-phil.