Hi all,

We have made good progress recently on Accessibility for JavaFX and have working implementation for Windows 8 (UIA) and OS X 10.9. All of the built-in controls have been enabled. You can find information about the work and how to enable the support here:

https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Accessibility+Exploration (this link is background information on the work) https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Getting+Started+A11y (this link is for developers but describes some flags)

We have tested informally under VoiceOver and Narrator but nothing else (ie. for example, we have no run proprietary AT's such as JAWS).

We're looking for folks to help test the code and enter bug reports. The work is not targeted for 8u20 and will be removed before we ship because it is not ready for that release. However, it is ready to be tested right now and will be spending the next couple of weeks seeing where we are.

https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/OpenJFX/Submitting+a+Bug+Report

Remember to set -Djavafx.accessible=true when testing. Currently only Windows 8 and Mac OSX 10.9 are allowed to enable accessibility. We hope to support Windows 7 and Mac OSX 10.8 as well, however these are disabled. Using -Djavafx.accessible.force=true will force accessibility on these systems.

You can help! Especially valuable is input from folks who use screen readers as part of their normal day. Try one of the standard examples such as Modena or Ensemble and see how far you get. There are problems for sure, but many things work.

Thanks,
Steve