Hi Tom,

There are 2 upgrades to consider. One involves new API, but is probably best in the long run.

Without API, we'd have to detect if the path were rectangular in the processing of the CLIP command in NGCanvas.java. If the 4 coordinates are an axis aligned rectangle on integer coordinates then we could special case that with g.setClipRect(). There are other considerations, such as:

- If there is already a soft non-rect clip, then it should probably not bother with the special case since it won't simplify anything. - If we have special cased the rectangle, then we must track that across save/restore properly. - If we have a special case cliprect and then we get a non-special case rect as the argument of a CLIP command, then we need to resolve it into a singular case (most likely default back to soft clipping). - The processing that tries to detect "are they clearing the entire buffer" needs to be aware of any clip in effect - those tests are done at the javafx.scene.canvas.GraphicsContext level.

We could put that fix in with no new API so it could go in as soon as we are satisfied with its stability.

If we want to add new API, so that you don't have to construct a path every time you want to do clipRect() and we don't have to decipher your path to figure out that it is a rectangle, then we would have to wait for the next opportunity to add API (FX can add API in between major JDK releases, but there is a process to go through and I don't think we can do it for 8u20 any more). The process for that would be:

javafx.scene.canvas.GraphicsContext would need a new method that would take the rectangular clipping parameters and put them into the buffer. The existing fillRect() method would provide a good template. A new "command code constant" would have to be added to represent "This is a clip rectangle request".

NGCanvas would then need to digest the new buffer commands and I believe that the existing Prism call g.setClipRect() would work to enable the scissor clip (fast rectangular clipping).

The question is what is the proper API? If we have it take doubles, would that imply to developers that there would be soft clipping of the edges similar to if you used a rectangular path and clip()? Right now Node.setClipNode(Rectangle) will do the fast scissor clip (g.setClipRect()) if the coordinates fall on integer axis-aligned coordinates, but it will do soft-edged clipping if there is rotation/skewing, or the coordinates are not integers. That would probably be the best API to mimic since HTML5 doesn't have a similar "cliprect" method...

                        ...jim