It depends on the format. We use a native libjpeg loader from IJG (the Independent JPEG Group) to decode JPEG files and Java loaders to decode GIF, BMP, and PNG files.

-- Kevin

Mike Hearn wrote:
If I load image bits into an Image how is the decoding done? Is this using
native code and if so there is a way to swap out the decoding engines for
ones written in Java? I see native image libraries in my JRE lib directory
so I suspect the answer is, they're decoded in C.

I ask because I'm loading images provided by third parties of unknown
providence into my app (images embedded in files users may open), and I
know it's been a while since the last round of image decoding bugs but I'd
feel better if I knew there was no possibility of all the usual C exploits
happening.