Hi Pete,

work on this is tracked in https://javafx-jira.kenai.com/browse/RT-21598

In terms of the current API, I think the best solution is to add event
handlers and/or event filters on the TableView.

Regarding your proposed fixes, I have a blog post where I argue that
the wiring between the Behavior and the ("View" aspect of the) Skin
should be reversed, i.e. that the Behavior should hold a reference to
the View, not vice versa. That is, for example, against both your
proposed fixes. (Note that the blog post represents my personal view
only.)
http://tomasmikula.github.io/blog/2014/06/11/separation-of-view-and-controller-in-javafx-controls.html

Incidendally, I'm currently working on a solution to add/override
keyboard shortcuts. I should be able to publish something soon.

Best,
Tomas