Many of you have been asking about the status of JavaFX in Linux/ARM embedded platforms. Starting with 8u33, JavaFX has been removed from both Oracle JDK for ARM and Oracle Java SE Embedded. [1]

This is a resource trade off within Oracle. Included in that difficult trade off decision was the ongoing investment needed to properly support FX in a world where so much the hardware is not standardized -- it really is difficult to have enough hardware and testing resources committed to support FX on ARM. It is important to understand that when we say support, we are not talking about just "running" on a device like the Raspberry PI -- but providing support for paying customers that are almost certainly going to be using hardware that is customized for their embedded product.

This does not mean that FX is going away on other platforms, and hopefully does not mean we will be disappearing from ARM completely.

The core JavaFX team will continue working on the ARM port as resources permit, hopefully with involvement of members of the OpenJFX community. We have continued to demonstrate this commitment with the moving all of the JavaFX sources to OpenJFX, and maintaining an up to date OpenJFX Wiki which includes detailed articles on building for ARM.

We will continue to do what we can to make it easier to build and overlay OpenJFX on top of the ARM JDKs.

We hope to arrange for a external build of OpenJFX for ARM so that more people will be able to easily obtain a current build.

Most of the FX source code is shared across all ports, and we will continue to do regular internal builds of linux-armv6hf to ensure that it runs. We will continue to maintain the Monocle glass platform in any case, as we use it for some of our dektop unit tests.

We have received a lot of help from the community -- particularly for iOS and Android. Now we hope we can work together to keep Linux ARM viable and interesting.

-- Kevin Rushforth and David Hill

[1] For more information on the decision, I refer you to the following statement from Dalibor Topic and Donald Smith that Dalibor posted to the Raspberry Pi forum.

http://www.raspberrypi.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=81&t=97367&p=678791#p678791

Apologies for the terse release note regarding this change to the Oracle JDK for ARM and Oracle Java SE Embedded products. Clearly this change should have come with more context.

Starting with Oracle JDK for ARM 8u33 and Oracle Java SE Embedded 8u33, JavaFX Embedded, a port of JavaFX 8 which was only available on Linux/ARM platforms, is not supported, and has been removed from these downloads.

The complete source code for JavaFX Embedded has been contributed to the OpenJFX open source project in the OpenJDK community under the GPL v2 with Classpath exception license. JavaFX development has been done in the OpenJDK open source community for some time now, enabling JavaFX developers to contribute back their changes to the source code, and produce their own OpenJFX binaries for their target platforms under their own responsibility.

JavaFX continues to be provided as a fully supported part of the Oracle JDK 8 product on x86 platforms (Windows, Linux, Mac).