Hi,

On Sat, Apr 4, 2015 at 10:31 PM, Chris Newland <cnewl...@chrisnewland.com>
wrote:

> Hi Jim,

-snip

> I think my question is:
>
> Does the OpenJFX group think JavaFX is a suitable technology for full
> frame rate canvas-style graphics or is the degree of indirection between
> application code and the graphics hardware just too great?

I think there is also a general problem not related to 2d drawing at least
on 10.10.2. For RT-40377 I created a simple node-based alternative which is
animating _one_ circle and in full-screen mode I get 25-35 fps on my retina
MBP. Maybe it's unrelated but maybe there is an additional throttle
somewhere also affecting your case.

> I would have expected the hardware I've tested on to eat 2500 triangles at
> 60fps for breakfast even with no GPU acceleration.

Yes, for my case with one circle I would have expected almost no CPU but I
still get 15% which I find quite a bit for rendering one circle 30
times/sec.

> I'm going to knock up a version of this code that uses Graphics2D for
> comparison.

If you do that, please also include numbers for running that code with
Apple Java 6 as well, because there are quite a few people still saying
that Apple's Java 6 outperforms Oracle's Java by a lot in 2D Graphics.

> Cheers,
>
> Chris

I don't know what else to do but to lobby here and invest some work in Jira
issues with reproducible test cases. There is a huge performance problem on
the Mac (I have to admit, I have no Windows machine to compare myself) with
the potential to drive companies like ours, which is seriously
considering/testing the technology for our product development, away from
the technology. I would also hope that other people who have encountered
this like the Ultramixer guys don't give up on this and keep posting
qualified information, making the case for this and supporting the Oracle
team by reproducible benchmarks/test cases.

Cheers,

Robert