I do not think all the open source pieces necessary for an
open source version of FX are available for OpenJDK 7.
If you want to use FX on JDK 7 I think you are going to have to use Oracle JDK ..
but the "public" updates for that just ceased.

So you really need to target [Open]JDK 8.

And in any case as noted by Tom developing on 8 and deploying to 7 is likely
to run into problems as you unwittingly use 8 only features, and don't forget that the class file format is updated for 8 so you'd need to use -target 7 even
if you were not using JDK 8 features.

-phil.