I have a working implementation that needs more stress-testing on different
platforms, but it seems a good and easy solution so far.
I have this on QuantumToolkit:

    @Override
    public void pauseRenderer(){
        Application.invokeAndWait(() -> this.pause = true);
        PaintCollector.getInstance().waitForRenderingToComplete();
    };

    public void resumeRenderer(){
        Application.invokeAndWait(() -> this.pause = false);
    };

pause is a boolean that is checked for in
void pulse(boolean collect) { ... }

The difficulty I mentioned in my previous mail (how do we know there are no
renderJobs pending/running) was solved easily as there exists this
PaintCollector.waitForRenderingToComplete method.
This might make the pauseRenderer a bit slower, and maybe this is not
needed in all usecases. In that case, we can remove it from the
pauseRenderer() and we can add it either in the Monocle implementation that
will call pauseRenderer, or in a Android/iOS specific code.

However, it seems to me that if you want to pause the renderer, you most
often want to make sure no one is still writing to the glSurface after the
pauseRenderer method is called, so I think it makes sense to keep it there?

- Johan