Hi,

I think the best way to get started really depends on your personal
preferences (e.g. do you like to read code, docs, diagrams,...).
I can only comment on how I do it, but others may have other approaches:

First of all, you can run a simple JavaFX apps with lots of verbose info.
See com.sun.prism.impl.PrismSettings for a list, and have at least
prism.verbose set to true. This already gives you lots of insight in what
is happening.

Second, you want to know what happens on a pulse. Although many complex
things are happening, this is not very hard to detect from the code: start
from QuantumToolkit.pulse() and follow it from there. There are basically
two main parts:
* do the calculations (on the FX Thread) (e.g. look at
Scene.ScenePulseListener.pulse())
* do the rendering (PaintCollector.renderAll() which will ultimately call
QuantumRenderer.submitRenderJob() which runs on the Prism thread).

- Johan