Hi Felix,
I have written various tests like the ones you use in FXMark and I have
obtained similar results. I have even tried to substitute 2D shapes by
using 3D MeshViews in the hope that this would give better performance
but the results were not that good. Of course all this depends on the
specific test case but in general I see that a JavaFX application which
makes heavy use of graphics animations is completely CPU-bounded.
The maximum performance is reached when one CPU/Core is at 100%.
The performance of your graphics hardware seems to be almost irrelevant.
I could for example run four instances of the same test with almost the
same performance at the same time. In this case all 4 cores of my machine
were at 100%. This proves that the graphics hardware is not the limiting
factor. My machine is a MacBook Pro with Retina graphics and a dedicated
NVidia graphics card which is already a couple of years old and certainly
not playing in the same league as your high-power card.
I myself have not yet found a way to really speed up the graphics performance and I am a little bit frustrated because of that. But it is not only the general graphic performance which is a problem. There are also a lot of other pitfalls
into which you can stumble and which can bring your animations to a halt
or even crash your system. Zooming for example is one of these issues.

I would like to have some exchange on these issues and how to best address
them but my impression so far is that there are only very view people interested
in that. (I hope someone can prove me wrong on this :-)

Michael