Hi,

I am working on a project which enforces unique FX Id by using a naming
convention mirroring the hierarchical structure of the controls in the name,
delimited by dots. So for example, we have a button "myPane.button1". I am not
able to select this button in a css file. Here is an example program and the
css file:

import javafx.application.Application;
import javafx.scene.Scene;
import javafx.scene.control.Button;
import javafx.scene.layout.VBox;
import javafx.stage.Stage;

public class CssTest extends Application {

    public static void main(final String[] args) {
        Application.launch(args);
    }

    @Override
    public void start(final Stage stage) {
        VBox vbox = new VBox();
        Button b1 = new Button();
        b1.setId("the.button");
        b1.setText("BUTTON1");

        Button b2 = new Button();
        b2.setId("thebutton");
        b2.setText("BUTTON2");

        vbox.getChildren().addAll(b1, b2);
        vbox.getStylesheets().add("stylesheet.css");

        final Scene scene = new Scene(vbox);

        stage.setScene(scene);
        stage.show();
    }
}
The css file is

#the\.button {
    -fx-graphic: url("Keyboard.png");
}

#thebutton {
    -fx-graphic: url("Keyboard.png");
}

As far as I understand the CSS definition the names are valid ids and escaping
should work here. Is this a limitation in the JavaFX CSS parser?

Best wishes,
Jens

Jens Auer
(Softwareentwicklung)