We don't currently plan any improvements in the area of 3D rendering. Even if we did, allowing application-defined materials would require some way for the application to provide the needed shader support for rendering such materials.

-- Kevin

Nir Lisker wrote:
It seems that currently developers can't create their own material because
the abstract class Material is not designed to be subclassed, and so
PhongMaterial is the only one available.

Are there any plans to allow developers to subclass Material and crate
their own materials? Phong is somewhat old and other shaders are more
commonly used in the industry.