Hello,

I have an open source project FXGraphics2D [1] that provides a Graphics2D API
for the JavaFX canvas.  It is open source and used to provide JavaFX support
for JFreeChart [2] and Orson Charts [3].  It can also be used more generally
for any code that targets the Java2D API.

One limitation that I’ve encountered is that there is no API to get font
metrics for fonts rendered on the JavaFX canvas, so it is difficult to
implement the method Graphics2D.getFontMetrics(Font f) accurately.  As a
result, text alignment is difficult, for example see the tick labels on the
vertical axis in this chart:

http://www.jfree.org/jfreechart/fxgraphics2d-font-issue.png

There is a feature request in the bug tracker, open for some time, that targets
this particular feature.  I’d like to highlight it for (hopefully) some
attention in a future JDK release:

<https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8090775>

Best regards,

David Gilbert