Hi John,

Here's my $0.02 on JavaFX as someone who's used it for over 4 years in the
JITWatch project (https://github.com/AdoptOpenJDK/jitwatch) and also for
fun with my DemoFX benchmarks (https://github.com/chriswhocodes/DemoFX).

On the whole I think the API is very good. Event handling, layout, choice
of components give me 99% of what I need.

The CSS approach to styling feels a bit clunky when I want to change
fine-grained appearance programatically without defining new CSS classes.
Proper font metrics would be nice too (already discussed recently).

The Canvas/GraphicsContext API provides a decent entry point into "old
school" 2D programming and a way to avoid the scenegraph which does suffer
with scale when you push it too hard. You can do fun things with
PixelReader/Writer.

Personally I'd like an even lower level API to framebuffers as the current
implementation looks a bit copy-heavy (my opinion from just the source
code, I've not had time to see how much the JIT saves us here). I'd really
like the video frame grabber API for MediaPlayer (deprecated after 8)
added back but I'm probably alone here. I can always go off-heap here or
just implement a video decoder in pure Java.

For 3D I think a component that provides a surface usable by an existing
OpenGL library is probably better than trying to replicate in pure OpenJFX
but this isn't really my area.

I was disappointed when Oracle decided to drop support for ARM / IoT but
that's no reflection on the JavaFX team, just a commercial decision by a
cloud-focused company. I've tried to keep IoT support going via community
builds of JavaFX 8 at https://www.chriswhocodes.com but I never really
cracked getting Windows builds working. I'm hoping to find some time next
year to work with the AdoptOpenJDK group (CC'd) and Laurent Borges
(Marlin/MarlinFX) to improve early access testing and cross-platform
support of OpenJFX builds. This got a lot harder since the modular JDK9
where you can no longer simply modify OpenJFX, rebuild, and drop an
overlay onto your JRE.

There are a few companies doing great work (Canoo, Gluon etc.) and a long
list of community individuals (Gerrit, Carl, Sean, Almas, Johan, Alessio,
Sven, Andres, Dirk, Dierk, Michael, Jens, Jose, ... actually the more I
think about it the longer this list gets) who showcase what is possible.

The Gluon mobile stuff looks really interesting and I've just started
trying to rewrite an iOS native app into a cross-platform app using their
Eclipse plugin.

In summary I'm very happy with JavaFX and I think the community, while
small, contains a lot of talent and energy.

The "official" OpenJFX devs are responsive to the community while being
realistic about what can be achieved outside their sanctioned roadmap.

If there's 1 single thing I'd like to ask for it's an updated set of build
instructions for each platform. That's the biggest barrier to getting more
community patches submitted in my opinion.

Just the $0.02 of one JavaFX user ;)

Cheers,

Chris
--