To be honest, building OpenJFX is the least of my worries. Compared with
other frameworks, building OpenJFX is extremely easy and well-documented.
The wiki pages are still mostly accurate.

I agree with Mario about the webkit: that is the biggest pain imho. The
fact that a bunch of code is dropped every now and then doesn't make it
easy.
Also, it takes a very long time to build those sources. On Android and iOS,
we don't have that problem as we leverage the webkit libraries that are
available on those platforms. It would be great if we could do something
similar on desktop (link instead of compile).

About the gradle moving target: OpenJFX has for a VERY long time been on
gradle 1.8. The recent changes were, as I see it, required to keep up with
the gradle/Java9 catchup.
For Android and iOS, I took the build.gradle from OpenJFX 10 and build with
a released Java 9, and that works perfect. I think the gradle bumps will be
less now.

- Johan