Hi Ankit,

In response to your veto, I took the opportunity to look at the the list of changes, and believe that my earlier nomination of Rajath to OpenJFX Project Committer was justified, if perhaps barely so.

While there is no objective criteria by which one can say a particular changeset is worth 0.5 of a fix, we do often look at 2 to 4 trivial fixes or test-only fixes to "make up the difference" in case only 6 or 7 are deemed "significant". This is why we usually want 10 or 12 fixes before we nominate someone for Committer -- to avoid quibbling over whether one or two are worthy of being counted.

Rather than respond to each of your comments individually (although I do have one point below), I will instead list the fixes I consider significant.

In looking at the list of fixes again, I would consider the following 7 non-test fixes to be significant, even though several of them were only a few lines of product code changed:

http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/3d5c22069d1f
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/5a3cc1b5bb22
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/674513271a88
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/dc2963c3f7d1 (see comment below)
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/9f43fb83e989
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/dedd5afd753e
http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/cfa038af148b

In all cases there needed to be an analysis, a fix, and testing to ensure that the bug was fixed without introducing a regression. As for your assertion about his part of the collaborative fix to upgrade WebKit to v605.1, JDK-8187483 (changeset dc2963c3f7d1), you make an unsubstantiated claim regarding his contribution. As he did contribute to that fix, I don't see any reason to question how significant it was.

In addition to the above 7, and excluding JDK-8185314 (the removal of unused files, which I would agree does not count at all), the other three test fixes are in my opinion enough justify the nomination.

I would finally point out that Rajath contributed three additional test fixes during the two week voting period, for a new total of 14 changesets (13 excluding the unused file removal).

Please respond to the list as to whether you feel the additional three test fixes, along with my additional explanation, is enough to satisfy your concerns over this nomination, and if not, why not. I would like to put the nomination forward again for a vote once the objections are resolved.

Thank you.

-- Kevin

ankit srivastav wrote:
NO,

Please go through the table, all the points accumulated are not even more then 7.
I have given reasons for my points.

*age*

*author*

*description*

Points

Reason

8 days ago

rkamath

8196802: 3D unit tests listed as pass although they are actually skipped <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/1438734a46e3?revcount=20>

0.5

Test file, not a direct impact-able code change in product.
10 days ago

rkamath

8089454: [HTMLEditor] selection removes CENTER alignment <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/b86ce9469653?revcount=20>

0.5

A very small change, why I’m saying so, as the file modified gets called directly from the APP written. No debugging/a little is required to make the change, which actually defies the purpose of getting knowledge of the product.

13 days ago

rkamath

8196615: Skip 3D unit tests on system without 3D capability <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/4f433399edbd?revcount=20>

0.5

Changes in Test file, not a direct impact-able code change in product.
4 weeks ago

rkamath

8165459: HTMLEditor: clipboard toolbar buttons are disabled unexpectedly <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/3d5c22069d1f?revcount=20>

0.5

A very small change, why I’m saying so, as the file modified gets called directly from the APP written. No debugging/a little is required to make the change, which actually defies the purpose of getting knowledge of the product.

7 weeks ago

rkamath

8088925: Non opaque background cause NumberFormatException <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/5a3cc1b5bb22?revcount=20>

0.5

A very small change, why I’m saying so, as the file modified gets called directly from the APP written. No debugging/a little is required to make the change, which actually defies the purpose of getting knowledge of the product.

2 months ago

rkamath

8090011: 'tab' key makes control loose focus <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/674513271a88?revcount=20>jdk-10+36

0.5

A very small change, why I’m saying so, as the file modified gets called directly from the APP written. No debugging/a little is required to make the change, which actually defies the purpose of getting knowledge of the product.

*age*

*author*

*description*

Points

Reason

2 months ago

mbilla

8187483: Update to 605.1 version of WebKit <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/dc2963c3f7d1?revcount=20>

0

Unless you directly point what changes you have made in the patch I will count it has 0. Most probably you have made changes for DRT, which even a tester can do. Moving DRT is a non technical task, requires no technical skills.

3 months ago

mbilla

8187928: [WebView] Images copied from clipboard not written in source file format <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/9f43fb83e989?revcount=20>

1

4 months ago

ghb

8178290: Intermittent test failure in test.com.sun.webkit.network.CookieTest <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/315c8aa5bc4c?revcount=20>jdk-10+29

0.5

Changes in Test file, not a direct impact-able code change in product.
4 months ago

mbilla

8187726: [WebView] Copy and Paste of Image not resulting in expected behavior <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/dedd5afd753e?revcount=20>jdk-10+27

1

4 months ago

mbilla

8187671: [WebView] Drag and Drop of text or html results in an image <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/cfa038af148b?revcount=20>

1

5 months ago

ghb

8089124: HTML5: Number input allows non-numeric input <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/73ace584b9ba?revcount=20>

0.5

Only setting value changes. For me this kind of change was not even get considered for Author status.

5 months ago

ghb

8185314: Remove unused third-party python scripts from WebKit sources <http://hg.openjdk.java.net/openjfx/jfx-dev/rt/rev/55ad191f5932?revcount=20>

0

No actual code change, you have only removed it.It seems it was not even getting called otherwise you must have change some other files which calls function from these files.

Adding all the points, total sum = 7.
So it's a NO for me.
I think you have to solve at least 3 more issues to get to the committer status.
*
*
*The whole idea behind becoming a committer is to get good solid product knowledge not the issue count.*
*Quality matters over quantity.*

Which one can only get after solving variety of issues with various level of difficulty level.

Here I can see you have 3 checkins for  file HTMLEditorSkin.java.
This file basically  gets I/P from APP written.
No/little debugging skill is require to solve the issue in this file.

For all the test changes I have awarded 0.5 as no direct impact on product. For DRT, moving DRT from one revision to another is just a side job. Anybody can do that.
If I tell a 12th grader then even he can also do that.
Also I'm not sure what's the actual contribution so awarded as 0.

Removing a file, that's too unused, no code change so 0.

*I have awarded proper points to proper code changes.*

@Rajath:
I know you must be under pressure (No idea from whom) to become committer, but I can see lots of potential in you.
You should not not succumb to such pressure.
Whole idea [as I have stated above ] to become committer is get sound product understanding, don't stop yourself to get that.
*Solve issue to get knowledge not just to show counts to other people.*

I can one more checkin from you, but that's too I guess in Test file i.e. 0.5
So It seems, you are very close to your destination.

Let me now if anyone in the community has any objection.

--Ankit