I'd say position, size, color, etc are all part of the design and CSS is
about design so this type of properties should be accessible via CSS.

I don't see why JavaFX should be any different from the web CSS, in this
respect.

There's something I'd like to bring to your attention, we already have
"-fx-pref-width", "-fx-max-width", "-fx-min-width" and the corresponding
height CSS properties coming from Region, should we re-use them? I think it
will be better if we have a standard way to change a Node's size rather
than properties with different names for different Nodes that do the same
thing.
Also having "-fx-pref-width" and also "-fit-width" might be kind of
strange, specially if the former doesn't do anything.
Main point is, I think we should have a standard API (same CSS properties)
for every node if these properties have the same meaning.

Kind regards,

--
Pedro Duque Vieira