From: Johan Vos <johan....@gluonhq.com>
Sent: Friday, June 1, 2018 8:12 PM
To: Jan Tosovsky <j.tosov...@email.cz>
Cc: openjfx-dev@openjdk.java.net
Subject: Re: JavaFX app for non-techie users

Hi Jan,

The goal is indeed to provide the JavaFX components as maven artifacts (e.g.
see https://github.com/javafxports/openjdk-jfx/issues/52). Would that fix your
issue?

- Johan

On Fri, Jun 1, 2018 at 8:02 PM Jan Tosovsky <j.tosov...@email.cz
<mailto:j.tosov...@email.cz> > wrote:

Dear All,

I made a small JavaFX app for small non-techie team working on Windows
(rewritten from Swing few years ago). Everyone had Java JRE installed so it
was enough to distribute small jar file (50 kB), which could be executed on
double click. Lucky man.

I am quite confused by recent JavaFX announcements about decoupling JavaFX
from JDK. It makes my life harder :-)

Does it mean every user with JDK11+ (no JRE any more) will have to install
additional JavaFX stuff to be able to run my app? Will it be provided as MSI
installer for Windows platform? Will download links be available in a same
place as standard Oracle Java JDK stuff downloads (ensuring credibility)?
Will it have some kind of auto-update mechanism?

I am aware of the trend of distributing Java apps as monolith with bundled
JDK modules, but not sure it makes sense for small utilities. (I expect the
size 50+ MB)

Would it be technically possible to provide JavaFX as maven artifacts so I
could easily add those JavaFX 'jars' (for single platform) as my app
dependencies? I do not need WebView so the final size could still keep
reasonable size.

Am I missing something?

Now I am slightly inclined to switching this app back to Swing to make it as
simple as possible to the end-users.

Thanks,

Jan