I am reading your stack trace but I defintely never mentioned the double invocation to handle that I see there are evidencing anything. The issue is the value of debugCounter at a two certain moments in the application - in the two calls to showDebugInformation.

Although the proof that I am right is contained in the value debugCounter in the method showDebugInformation in the current program, if you go to the link in my previous post and download  and run the Complex version of this, you can more easily see the departure of the JavaApplicationThread from the instance of handle which is on the stack - and at a method which is not handle (as it is in this one) followed by  it's recursive re-entry to handle , completion of that recursive-handle's execution and re-entry and then completion into the previous invocation of handle. It's is completely obvious in the output of that Applcation.

That application also throws the ConcurrentModificationException which is no way an artifact or misreading of a stacktrace.

However, what is at issue in this program is the value of debugCounter in showDebugInformation.

Cheers.