> public void setImageSmoothing(boolean imageSmoothing) {} to enable or
> disable smoothing.

A bit of forward thinking here. Will there always be only 2 ways of doing
smoothing: "on" or "off"?
If there will be different algorithms for smoothing, will they be set
separately by "setSmoothingAlgorithm" a la strategy pattern?
Some similar cases use an enum, like CacheHint [1], or what I think should
have been an enum, like SceneAntialiasing [2] (which has another 2
commented-out settings). Is adding elements to an enum even allowed by
backwards compatibility?

[1]
https://openjfx.io/javadoc/11/javafx.graphics/javafx/scene/CacheHint.html
[2]