I presume this is a "pre" review before sending out an actual review (which the Skara tooling will do automatically when you generate a pull request)...

My concern with this approach is that it leaks what should be an implementation detail into a visible property of the control (and really, using the properties map in this manner is a bit of a workaround). An alternative would be to use package scope methods and a Helper class, which is done in many other places. Worth noting is that if this is information that a custom skin would also need, then some sort of way to make this visible to the Skin will eventually be needed.

-- Kevin