Hi,

From the perspective of the application developer, I think throwing a runtime exception if the key does not exists on a given platform is potentially risky, as the API provided no hints that a given key might not exists an other platforms, and this oversight will only manifest itself at runtime, on said platform.

With the other two proposed solution (three-state return and Checked exception) the API itself reminds its would be consumer that they should consider a case where the operation is invalid.

I'm personally not keen on checked exceptions in such a scenario either, as it would require an extra API to check for the existence of a given key on the current platform, or condemn developers to implement conditional logic via exception catching (or require developer to know what specific keys exists on what platform before-hand to do the check).

Given all that, my personal preference would go to a three state return solution.

On that topic, is there anything that would preclude the use of an Optional<Boolean> to represent these three states, if we want to avoid introducing new enums?  It seems to me its semantics aligns quite nicely with the problem at hand.

Fred