On 2/26/21 6:56 AM, Rob Nikander wrote:
I wonder if I can get a dev setup with a quick edit-compile-run cycle, or if
the compile step takes a long time.

The builds for macOS are taking just over 11 minutes on GitHub.

To speed that up, I do my development in a project with only the JavaFX Graphics module, linked below, and then use a guest machine to do a full build for amd64 and armhf. Things go pretty quickly with the help of 'rsync'. Not sure whether the same setup would help on macOS.

JavaFX Graphics
https://github.com/jgneff/javafx-graphics

Do you know if the color fringes are being produced by the Core Text rendering
to a bitmap, and not the subsequent OpenGL phase?

No, I don't. I also don't know how the JavaFX code for macOS relates to what's going on with the Lanai Project:

Lanai Project
https://wiki.openjdk.java.net/display/lanai/Main

Regarding my suggestion of removing the sub-pixel rendering, it would be good to check how many Macs out there are still running on macOS 10.13 High Sierra and earlier. Apple removed its sub-pixel rendering and switched to grayscale anti-aliasing in macOS 10.14 Mojave.

John