Hi John,

I've had my eyes set on ReactFX enhancements for a while too, especially as
a replacement for the unsafe "select" mechanism. One of the things that
kept me from going forward with this is seeing what Valhalla will bring.
Generic specialization might save a lot of duplication work on something
like this, and Tomas touched another related issue [1], but since it could
be a long time before that happens, it's worth planning what we can extract
from ReactFX currently.

I think that we should break the enhancements into parts.
The first that I would advise to look at are the additions to
properties/observables. Tomas had to create Val and Var because he couldn't
change the core interfaces, but we can. Fitting them with the Optional
methods like `isPresent`, `isEmpty`, `ifPresent`, `map`. `flatMap` etc.;
and `select` and friends, is already a good start that will address many
common requirements.
The second part is related to listeners. The subscription model and event
streams try to solve the memory issues with hard and weak references, and
allow better composition.
The third part is for collections - things like transformation lists
(LiveList) and for other collections.

Since these share behavior under the hood, we need to look ahead, but in
terms of functionality, I think we should take smaller steps. It will also
be easier to propose these then.

- Nir

[1]
https://github.com/TomasMikula/ReactFX/wiki/Creating-a-Val-or-Var-Instance#the-javafx-propertynumber-implementation-issue