An overhaul to ImageIO that isn’t dependent on any UI framework, but rather
accesses raw image data via arrays or ByteBuffer (or even the new foreign
MemoryAccess stuff?) would help.
For specific UI framework types, BufferedImage and JavaFX Image, they just need
the plumbing to get the raw data accessible to ImageIO v2.   That way we don’t
need to mix different UI modules to read and write images.  There are already
too many ways to read images in the JDK, it would help if they could all
delegate to a single body of code.

It also might help with some cases of server-side image generation, where a
full UI toolkit isn’t needed... e.g. only the JavaFX graphics module (and base)
is enough to generate images.

Is anything like that every likely to happen?

Scott