I've analysed the problem described below and found out that:

* When building JavaFX from master-branch, the problem is gone

* When building from tags/16+8, the problem is present

And finally I found https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8211362 (Restrict export of libjpeg symbols from libjavafx_iio.so) together with https://git.openjdk.java.net/jfx/pull/442 from Johan Vos.

When I apply the changes in buildSrc/linux.gradle to tags/16+8, the problem goes away.

I also found out that Fedora 34 is not the only Linux distribution affected by the problem.

So the good news is, the problem will probably vanish with JavaFX 17. But the question remains whether the fix should be backported, since a lot of JavaFX applications will not work correctly under various modern Linux distributions.

Best regards,

Robert