> I’m not sure jpackage handles the notarization. I had done it for a
> jpackage application and posted something on how to do it on my site. My
> builds are currently throwing some sort of error on that I haven’t looked
> at yet. The code signing and packaging I think all invoke native OS/X
> commands. Not trivial but that could also probably be done on your own. It
> appeared tricky with an already signed embedded jdk. It took jpackage a few
> releases to get it right.

The way that I'm getting around this is by generating a platform-specific
"Installer" which can be distributed.  The installer itself is notarized,
so it can be distributed to users outside the app store, and run without
the Gatekeeper restrictions.  Since the installer app bundle itself is the
same for every app, it needs to look up the metadata for the specific app
being installed using a naming convention of the app.

I have the codesigning and notarization of this installer set up in github
actions.  It's not that complicated, but it's enough of a hassle that I
would rather do this once, and never worry about it again.  Here is the bit
of my github action that deals with signing and notarization:
https://github.com/shannah/jdeploy/blob/64bf78a9c3f1f526a7361c10cfa0e6f42da430a5/release.sh#L33-L50

When the end-user downloads and runs the installer, it will then install
the app itself locally.  The final, resulting app won't be signed or
notarized, but that is OK because it isn't subject to the notarization
restriction like it would be if you had downloaded it directly.  This is
similar to the way that Chrome creates Chrome apps from a PWA.

Apps distributed in this way would not be acceptable in the Mac App Store.
For that you would need jpackage.  But it solves the problem of "I just
built a Java app that I want to distribute to my users, and I don't want to
get bogged down in creating native bundles for each platform, or worrying
about distribution/updates".

Best regards

Steve

--