On Wed, 30 Mar 2022 13:27:40 GMT, Johan Vos <j...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> When the size of a ListCell is changed and a scrollTo method is invoked
>> without having a layout calculation in between, the old (wrong) size is used
>> to calculcate the total estimate. This happens e.g. when the size is changed
>> in the `updateItem` method.
>> This PR will immediately resize the cell and sets the new value in the cache
>> containing the cellsizes.
>
> Johan Vos has updated the pull request incrementally with one additional
> commit since the last revision:
>
>   Don't shift cells if we are already showing the lowest index cell.

I agree with that observation. The mathematical perfect situation would be to
pre-calculate the height of all items, so that the scrolbar position can be
exact, and the content placing can be exact as well. That would be at the price
of a major performance overhead for large lists. For small lists, this overhead
is more acceptable.

I agree that this is something that could be rather application-defined instead
of having heuristics in the ListView.

As a historical note, before https://bugs.openjdk.java.net/browse/JDK-8089589
was fixed, all items were considered of equali height for the position of the
scrollbar. In the current case, if that precondition holds, the estimated size
will be the real size, so in that case there is no need to calculate the height
of every item before getting the correct total size.
This is again something the application knows best -- even with non-fixed cell
heights, the expected variations might be small enough and if they are randomly
spread, the estimate will soon be "good enough".