On Mon, 18 Dec 2023 10:36:32 GMT, Jose Pereda <jper...@openjdk.org> wrote:

>> That's only if we want to keep building working on 16.04. I think it makes
>> easier to test on it.
>> But, it's already failing for Platform preferences API code.
>
> In any case, if `GdkSeat` is available only since 3.20, then we need to add
> the compile-time checks anyway, since minimum supported is 3.8.

It seems like this is the best we can do for now. What is means is that we
won't be able to build on a system with 3.8 - 3.19 and distribute a library
that will use the new functionality when running on 3.20 or later. That's
probably OK in this case, but is worth noting.

What is important, and why the runtime check is needed (as noted above) is that
we can build a production release of JavaFX on a system that has a later GTK
and it will run on a system with an older GTK. It won't use the feature on
those older systems, but won't crash.

PR Review Comment: https://git.openjdk.org/jfx/pull/1305#discussion_r1430679284