This is why I would advocate instead to make it easier to replace Skins entirely (by being able to copy the code). The biggest issue there is that Skins contain many non-public helpers, primarily their Behaviors.  Making Behaviors public would first require unblurring the lines between what is Skin and what is Behavior (not doing so will just make it a bad API that will cause many bugs and problems over the coming years).  That would also mean that some controls need some rework to divide the work over their Skin and Behavior correctly, as for many controls the split is there only in name, and is discarded as soon as it was inconvenient.

With Behaviors public and some helpful API's (like Font measurement) having a public equivalent, the route to just copy only a Behavior or Skin opens up.  Being able to copy them means that you don't need to fully open up and specify every private method in Skins/Behaviors (designing API's is hard, but designing API's that can be sub classed while not restricting an endless set of possibilities that a Skin subclass may need is impossible).

--John

On 08/03/2024 00:40, Marius Hanl wrote:
One note here regarding that a lot of things are final in JavaFX:
The problem is not that everything is final - this is intended and makes sense, since we speak mostly of properties here. Overriding those will not give you any benefit. You mostly want to override e.g. Controls if you add something new to it (a new property) or may just want to set another default skin. This design is mostly superior than e.g. Swing, where you can override things and easily break something if not too careful. Pretty sure that this were some lessons learned from the development of Swing. The biggest problem is rather that a lot of methods are package private or 'Accessors' are used to call specific methods, which is not just a questionable design but also restrict the usage.
It is often not possible to override even a minor feature inside the skin.
So you may rather want to recreate the skin then, and copy the existing skin and just change some stuff. But this will mostly not work either, as there is a lot of internal API usage, e.g. Accessors or some com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.Utils usage. Want to set the width of a TableColumn? Well, the internal com.sun.javafx.scene.control.TableColumnBaseHelper.TableColumnBaseAccessor can do that, you can not. Get the width of a text String? Well, you can use com.sun.javafx.scene.control.skin.Utils.computeTextWidth... Offtopic: Maybe we should collect the things which should be public in our opinion at one point to (better) get this started as well?
-- Marius
*Gesendet:* Montag, 04. März 2024 um 08:13 Uhr
*Von:* "Robert Lichtenberger" <r.lichtenber...@gmail.com>
*An:* openjfx-dev@openjdk.org
*Betreff:* Re: Validation Support
First off, as the original author of ValidatorFX I feel flattered by the
suggestion of including it into the JavaFX core :-).

Some thoughts / insights I gained from developing ValidatorFX:

* ValidatorFX is (with the possible exception of GraphicDecoration.java)
rather trivial code and also very small (< 1k lines of library code).
But it seems to have filled a market gap according (a few thousand
unique ip downloads every month, issues from ca. a dozen people so far,
even a few PRs). These "market gaps" get filled rarely because they are
not a commercially attractive opportunity. On the other hand if you
decide (like I did with ValidatorFX) to take your closed source solution
and make it open source, you are "rewarded" by increased overhead at
first. But the market gaps exist and hinder broader JavaFX adoption.

* ValidatorFX is probably only one part needed for application
developers. The other part is a form library that allows to layout
fields, have buttons (that are connected to field validation, etc.). It
looks like this is written again and again by every application developer.

* To answer John's question if JavaFX could do more to help make tools
like ValidatorFX easy to build:

** There's the TooltipWrapper class in ValidatorFX which works around
JDK-8090379. Not a big deal but something many application developers
will probably be annoyed by.

** On a more general note, if I were the king of the JavaFX universe for
one day, I would forbid anyone to make classes or methods final. As an
application developer I prefer to be able to tweak things easily, even
if they may break in the future (which they will anyway ...). Don't take
that decision away from me, it's patronizing. But I guess this is one of
those things that depend very much on which side of the equation you
are, so don't take my troll bait :-).

--Robert